Not again! I try to bring up the subject of white privilege with an American female, millennial. I need to find a better introduction (how exactly did I start?) since I always get a knee-jerk, white anxious* response. “I can’t have white privilege, because I’m Jewish,” she responded. Apples and oranges, I wish I had said. A person can benefit from one privilege and suffer from another discrimination. What is white privilege ? We’re not talking about the Ku Klux Klan or Musk’s Nazi salute. Those are extremes-- important subjects to write about elsewhere. White privilege, as I see it, is an absence of barriers. Imagine a track-and-field hurdle competition. Each person has a set of barriers, higher or lower, according to their race, gender, dis/ability, religion, class, etc. White privilege is the ABSENCE of race related barriers. It doesn’t mean others weren’t added. I, for example, have the barriers of gender, health, and a turbulent childhood. On the other hand, I d...
Commentaires
Enregistrer un commentaire